Water-Soluble Liquid Cannabis
The last 2 years have been a whirlwind in my health journey, to say the least. The more diagnoses I received, 17 in 9 months, the more Cannabis medicine I needed to keep my level of daily functioning. Soon it became evident that I wasn't absorbing nutrients in general due to Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), fructose malabsorption, and Mast Cell Disease. I had to find a real solution.
An entire gram of a cannabis concentrate is what I used on a bad day. When the bad days became everyday something had to change. Was I really getting the benefits from it or was it all being excreted? What is the most effective way to utilize cannabis with a G-tube without clogging the tubing? I couldn't possibly be the only person whose tolerance is so high that most people just could not fathom having an un-impaired conversation after a regular dose! If this sounds like you, then water-soluble may be something worth considering.
After much research, trial and error, and lots of collaborative brainstorming, medical cannabis patients, welcome to the world of water-soluble!
Last Updated: 09/03/2022 (More concise directions and added a second time in the bath)
Yield: 1-30ml glass dropper bottle
350mg (2 pinch spoons) beta-cyclodextrin powder
600mg (2 pinch spoons) citric acid
1ml MCT oil
1 gram cannabis/hemp concentrate or isolate
11ml distilled water or 9.3ml for use with liquid quillaja extract
1500ml tap water
15.5ml food grade glycerin
High shear homogenizer (check multiple sellers to get the best price)
Ultrasonic Bath (Style: 02. P4810+BHK03A)
Liquid quillaja extract can be used when the powder extract is unavailable. After your powders are combined, mix the liquid quillaja with the water thoroughly and then add this to the powder mixture and continue with the recipe.
This recipe can create a solution for a maximum of 2 grams of cannabis/hemp/herbal concentrate. If using 2 grams, add 1 gram of de-oiled sunflower lecithin for a total of 2 grams.
- Bring 1500ml of tap water to a boil, remove from stovetop, and carefully fill the ultrasonic bath with the level of water appropriate for your beaker size. Put the lid on so the heat does not escape.
- Decarb concentrate in silicone/glass container on a heated magnetic stirrer or in oven until the bubbles stop, about 15-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Measure powders, add them to your beaker, and mix to blend with glass stir rod to breakup any clumps. Add water and mix. Let it hydrate 30 minutes to overnight covered with plastic wrap. To speed up the hydration process, follow the setup instructions provided with your homogenizer unit. Turn on the homogenizer, slowly turn the knob until it turns on and continue until max speed is reached. Run for 30 seconds. Use the homogenizer to blend the mix and proceed to step 4. You can also hydrate it on and off the heat of a heated magnetic stirrer, candle/mug warmer, or hotplate while continuously stirring.
- Once hydrated, add MCT oil to your cannabis/hemp concentrate or isolate warm on heated magnetic stirrer, mix with the syringe needle or swirl, and draw into syringe. Add into the water mixture.
- Follow the operating instructions provided with your ultrasonic bath. Place the beaker in an ultrasonic bath for 5-15 minutes or until the bubbles dissipate. If needed, give the liquid a quick swirl to disperse any clumps that form and return to the bath.
- While the cannabis is in the bath, warm glycerin to 175-200°F.
- Remove the beaker from the bath when the cycle is finished and add the warmed glycerin. Place the beaker under the homogenizer, turn on, and mix for 2 minutes.
- Return beaker to ultrasonic bath for 5-10 minutes.
- Bottle, cap, label, and slowly shake back and forth to get rid of any air bubbles. These will dissipate overtime.
- Add your needed dosage to anything you would like to medicate. To dose this, measure by the drops. There are 28 drops of water-soluble liquid in 1ml/dropper.